September 6, 2009

Gamers' Spotlight: [Crucial]Mutiara



Remember this girl that we featured in this article?

Guess what, we managed to secure an interview with her, prior to her involvement in Singapore F1 as a Grid Girl. Fortunately, she manage to take her time off from her busy schedule from her rehearsal and her day-job as a child care teacher to share about herself and her current stint in her favourite game, World of Warcraft.

Before we start, here's some basic info about her for those who plays WoW:-

  • She plays in a US realm called Grogonnash.
  • Her character name is Mutiara.
  • She's a level 80 Gnome Warlock.
  • Currently in a Singapore guild called Crucial.


Alright guys, the interview is after the jump!



I think most of the readers knew about this already, but could you tell
more about yourself.


My name is Hamizah Nasir. I am 20 years old. I am a part-time childcare teacher. I just graduated with a Diploma in Media & Communication from Singapore Polytechnic earlier this year in May. The reason why my qualification and the job I have right now is unrelated is because I have always wanted to try teaching and I love kids. My hobbies are playing World of Warcraft and reading books.

Since when you were involved in games and what is the first game you
played during that time?


Probably when I was nine years old. I liked to play Tomb Raider.

What type of gamer are you? Do you consider yourself a casual or hardcore
gamer?


Casual. I used to be quite hardcore in playing World of Warcraft cos I always wanted to gear myself up so I will always do instances and raids. I always wanted to get The Turning Tide which the last boss in Naxxramas drops, but I never got it even up til now :(. Lately, due to work and The Singtel Grid Girls competition, it is hard for me to find time to play. I now play WoW once a week compared to last time, which was everyday.


[Crucial]Mutiara during her modelling


You have mentioned in your Grid Girls blog that you have played World of
Warcraft for 14 hours straight. If there's a chance to break Malaysia's
CyberFusion Guinness World Record for 40 hours non-stop without sleep, would
you dare to give it a try?


No. I don't think I can stay awake that long. Haha.

Do you date a gamer? If you do, tell us why. And if you don't, also tell
us why.


Yes. My boyfriend is a gamer. He was the one who introduced me to World of Warcraft in late 2007. Instead of going out for movies, we would be at our own homes or at a LAN shop together, doing quests and raids together. It is a fun way to spend time with your significant other when you run out of ideas of where to go out for dates. Haha.

In your own opinion, how do you think playing games helps you?

Playing games helps me to de-stress after a long and hard day at work.

This is a silly question. What do your parents think about you playing
games? And do your girlfriends think negatively about you if they knew you
are playing games?


When I picked up World of Warcraft, my parents were quite unhappy about it because I neglected my chores, but after that I managed my time properly, they were okay about it. They get really angry when I play WoW very late into the night.

Well, my girlfriends are okay with it. Unless, I am late when we are supposed to meet because I was doing a raid.


During a F1 Party in Nurburgring, Germany with the host of the show and two other Grid Girls. (From left: Low Shu Min, Soo Kui Jien (The host), [Crucial]Mutiara and Sara Chan)


Have you attend any gaming competition (WCG, ESWC or other gaming
competition?)


No.

You are selected from hundreds or thousands Singaporean girls to be one
of the Grid Girls in this year's Singapore GP. How do you feel when you are
selected and what are the response of your fellow WoW gamers when they knew
about this?


I feel very happy and privileged that I am selected because being a Singtel Grid Girl is a once in a lifetime opportunity as I got to travel to one of the F1 countries (Germany) to attend the race, learn about the culture and meet several drivers and be on national television and also, to represent Singapore at the pit on the Singapore GP. Well, I am not really sure how my fellow WoW Gamers feel about this, but I am sure they miss me cos I am hardly in Azeroth now. Haha.

There's a perception that gamers don't have any life except just
playing games all the time. Would you agree with that statement?* *Do you
think being a Grid Girl send a strong message that gamers can be successful
in other things?


No. It is just a stereotype thinking about gamers. There are all types of gamers out there and I know that some of them have successful careers and full-time parents. For example like myself, I am a gamer and at the same time, I am a Grid Girl as well as a teacher. And yes, I agree it does send a strong message that gamers can be successful in other things. Gaming is a leisure activity, it is not something that takes over your life. This all depends on the individual gamer, I am sure gamers who are successful in their careers or in life are usually those who play games moderately.

What are your plans after Singapore GP?

After the Singapore GP, I hope to do a bit of traveling and learn about cultures in different countries.

If there's a chance for you to purse your career in gaming industry
(such as being a reporter, journalist or professional gamer), would you be
interested to give it a try?


Yes I would.

Any shoutouts to SpotGamers fans and readers out there?

Support your local gamers! Haha.
Oh and do catch me on tv on Singapore's Channel 5, 21st September at 8pm and vote for me!




There you have it, ladies and gentlemen. Our own first gamer for our Gamers' Spotlight. We hope that we could feature more gamers in the future, no matter it's casual, hardcore or professional gamer who is also successful in other aspects of careers as well.

Anyway, thanks again to [Crucial]Mutiara for spend her time to have a nice and easy interview with us. Till we meet again in SpotGamers. Stay tuned and always watch this space! xD

0 comments: