August 12, 2009

GAME CONTROL THAT I WISH

by c.J
published by Rinie 12 August 2009




A chronic theme always appear in the forums is the control systems. What do you think of this new game's setup? Which is your favourite? Isn't point-and-click an antique that should be consigned to history? For me, all of these questions miss two vital aspects of player character control that are both more important than simply mere mechanics.



The first is that the control method should be easy to use. This goes some way to explaining the enduring nature of point-and-click. Since it simply makes use of the mouse in a way that users apply in all aspects of computer operation, it is arguably the most intuitive control system available. Adding a variety of icons accessible by clicking the right mouse button, you can even allow for a wide variety of actions to be undertaken with the same left-click.

This is not to say that I'm inextricably wedded to the point-and-click interface. Back as far as Grim Fandango I've used a variety of control methods and found myself ultimately comfortable with many of them. My sole requirement is that, after a brief learning curve, I should be able to achieve everything without having to think about it. If I have to break off from a game to check the manual for the talk key then the designers have failed.

Secondly, and far more importantly, I must actually have control. This is an area where adventure games tend to suffer much more than most other genres. A first-person shooter will allow you to run into a patch of open ground in front of a machine gun nest. A strategy game will allow you to march your troops into the enemy base one at a time. Even racing games will allow you to potter along at 10 miles an hour if the fancy takes you.

By contrast, adventures are all too often full of situations where the PC will refuse to do something. There's nothing interesting down that street, I don't want to talk to that person, and no earth-shattering emergency is going to make me reach into a muddy puddle to grab a key. I appreciate that the story-driven nature of adventures makes diversions a lot more work than just an extra bit of map. However, every time a player runs up against one of these blocks, they are jarred out of the game world the authors have tried to create. Allowing players to perform actions that are dumb or even outright suicidal reinforces the realism of the game for them. It is my prerogative to open the hold of a sunken submarine, even if I know a hideous creature from beyond, intent on destruction, lurks inside.

Developers won’t capture my interest in controls alone; I do still demand more from a game than that. But if they get that part right, they’re well on their way to getting me lost within their world.

Whats your take? What is your wish for in-game control?


2 comments:

Unknown said...

As for me, for example, in FPS, I'd like it to be something linear or straightforward, like HL2 and CoD series. Games like Fallout 3 and Far Cry 2 is, well, quiet... @_@. Too many hotkey etc etc. Might as well play a RPG instead.

What I tried to say is, I like to keep it 'simple', and less time looking for FAQ/walk through on the internet, which spoil the fun.


Haha, somehow I kinda miss those point-and-click style, where you just sit back on your seat comfortably, click the corresponding stuff and leisurely enjoy the strong storyline. :)

Rinie said...

lol but tht sumhow reminds me of mmorpg in d old days. especially ragnarok. miss that really.